DPS – Residential Sheds Permit Process

residential shed plans

Residential shed plans

A building permit is required to install or construct any shed in Montgomery County.

Single story sheds with a floor area of 200 square feet or less require no structural review but do require a final inspection to verify proper location and anchorage.

A building permit is required prior to the construction of any shed in Montgomery County

If a code violation is reported at your property, an inspector will order the appropriate correctove action which may include obtaining a permit.

In many circumstances, electrical , mechanical , public right-of-way , well and septic , and/or fire protection permits are required to complete the project. You will also need to make sure that your project conforms to Zoning requirements.

Many of the subdivision and developments in Montgomery County have private deed restrictions and covenants regulating construction. The County does not enforce covenants and deed restrictions. You may obtain information from your homeowner’s or civic association. You may also need a permit or other permission if you live a Montgomery County municipality that requires it.

Applications for single story sheds with a floor area of 400 square feet or less may be processed via our Walk-Through program .

Applications for multi-story sheds and those with a floor area greater than 400 square feet will be reviewed through the regular review process. Additionally, these sheds may require footing and framing inspections in addition to the final. For adequately prepared applications it takes up to 17 days to issue the permit.

To apply for a building permit, the applicant must submit two sets of the site and construction plans along with a building permit application to the Department of Permitting Services for review. All drawings must be prepared in pen or equal on sheets no smaller than 8½x11 inches. The minimum acceptable scale is ¼ inch = 1 foot. Please refer to our list of guidelines for information that must be included on your plans.

Please see our fee schedule for information regarding the fees associated with this permit application type.

Homeowners may apply for a building permit in their own name; however, if a contractor is to perform the work, DPS strongly suggests that the contractor be listed on the permit as the party responsible for the work. A contractor must have a Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC) license to obtain a permit.

Any dispute as to whether a shed has extended into a neighbor’s property or questions about the location of property lines is a legal matter to be resolved by the property owners.

Please see our list of required inspections associated with this permit application type.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *